Tuesday, February 24, 2009
In many of the art journaling groups I belong to, I've seen the same questions pop up over and over, and this has inspired me to offer a class that will answer most of those questions in an organized manner.
Even though we were all born with the creative part of our natures intact, and drew and painted with abandon as a small child, a majority of us lost this joyful freedom of expression as we grew into adulthood.
If you are longing to create a visual journal, but feel unsure about how to get started, this is the class for you. I will guide you to combine writing and art in a non-threatening and fun way. There is no need to be afraid. If you've completed kindergarten, you've got all the prerequisite skills you will need.
You'll have the opportunity to see different types of journals and learn how to quickly paint beautiful backgrounds to enhance your writing. You will receive detailed lessons with full color examples of many different techniques. The instructions fill over 80 pages, which will be emailed to you as PDF files. You will need to have Adobe Reader on your computer. It is a free download:
This class is wonderful for all levels. It's perfect for those who have never journaled or done any type of art, as I will take you step by step, while people with more experience will find it invaluable to have an organized course of instructions and examples you can save on your computer, print out, and refer to anytime you wish. The total cost is $35.
You will be invited to join a private online group of fellow students where you can ask questions, post photos of your pages, and tell us of your experiences and discoveries. Or you may just choose to observe.
I will always be available for one-on-one clarifications.
1. Explanation and pictures of basic supplies
2. Different types of art journals with photos of sample pages
3. How to reduce bulk so that your journal will close more completely after adding paint and embellishments
4. Making a page shield that won't shift around and will really protect underneath pages while you paint
5. Multiple ways to create backgrounds for pages with instructions and photos illustrating each one
6. Understanding color (i.e., what is a double-primary palette and how to use it to avoid muddy colors)
7. Principles and elements of good design
8. Creating a variety of borders for your pages
9. Advantages and disadvantages of different adhesives and how to apply them to minimize wrinkling
10. Using pictures in ingenious ways
11. Very simple drawing techniques even if you think you can't draw
12. Good writing tools
13. Creative lettering that's easy and fun
14. Suggestions for writing
15. Embellishments with rubberstamps, stencils, textured materials, various decorative papers
16. Ways to decorate your covers
17. Tips throughout to help you avoid problems
First and foremost, I am a teacher. I love to pass on what I know to other people. I was a classroom teacher and a school librarian for 31 years. I am extremely organized, so that means you will get lessons that are coherent and easy to follow. If anything is not clear, you will be able to ask questions on the private Yahoo group.
As for my art qualifications, my first love is calligraphy which I have actively studied for over 25 years with more than 60 instructors. That study led me to various other art pursuits including watercolor, rubber-stamping, book-making, altered books, and finally art journaling. This last one has become my current passion, and I hope it will give you as much pleasure as it does me.
1. Click on the "Buy Now" button at the top left. You do not have to have a PayPal account to use this.
2. When I receive notice of your payment, I will send the PDFs to the email address that you used for PayPal. (If you want them sent to a different email address, be sure to note that in the box that says "Special instructions to the seller.")
3. Be sure you have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. http://get.adobe.com/reader/
4. Optional: Join the private Yahoo group. Invitation will be emailed when payment is received.